Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jalizza was right...

...the hotel in Nauvoo DIDN'T have enough food for breakfast. And while we are at it, Ashton was right too; we should've brought a proper cooler. The containers we brought ended up leaking water all over the extra bed making the bed look....used.

The good news: Nauvoo was great! The drive from Toledo to Nauvoo is about 8 hours, but it turned into about 10 hours after breaks, traffic, etc. We got in around midnight that Friday night and quickly collapsed. I should back up-or at least remind-Nate and I went to Nauvoo with our friends Joe and Alana. Because they own everything we don't, they brought along four bikes for us to use.

The weather was mostly great (and a bike still functions in the rain, I found) and it was a fun way to get around town. Saturday we went to the temple in the morning, had lunch and biked around, then finished the evening back at the temple, just in time for us to miss all Nauvoo's open hours for any store. Don't get me wrong, I love the quiet that Nauvoo provides, but a grocery store open until 9pm would've been awesome. Just a thought.

At least the post office was open...

Nate and I took a run that night and found the church for the next morning and also learned it's fun to jog in a place without cars and many streetlamps, but enough raccoons. Okay, we only saw one; but for a minute I thought there were two-the second was a fire hydrant.

We had time to get other workouts in as well

Sunday we went to church and visited Carthage. I really enjoyed the visit; I appreciated the opportunity to think about what happened there and why.


The rest of our time in Nauvoo was spent checking out more of the houses, biking in the rain, walking around a cemetery, a little shopping, and visiting an extra large viking. Happy Memorial Day.

Extra large viking

Nate tying off the rope we made.

Liz by one of the original Nauvoo Temple sun stones

7 comments:

brooke and forrest said...

i've always wanted to visit nauvoo! so amazing. love your pics. and...you look beautiful!! so glad you found my blog, so i can stalk you!

CANDACE said...

what i want to know is...did you get to keep the rope, and if so--what do you plan to do with it?

M2 (Melissa) said...

Love the pictures - Nauvoo is so great!! Perfect time to visit!

M. Harrison said...

I'm glad you guys had a great time. That would be fun to bike around a city like that. I doesn't sound like it was very big at all. Don't you hate it when you go to a hotel and they advertise a continental breakfast, only to find out that it is stale pastries from a box and some dry cereal? Come on, we're starving!

Jody Neeley said...

Such beautiful pictures! Glad you guys had a good time.

Duston said...

What wonderful memories the two of you are building together! A vacation the two of you will remember forever! Great pics too!

Ruth said...

You should have stormed down to the front desk and shouted "WHEN JALIZZA HONGRY, SHE EAT!!! NOM! NOM! NOM!