This past weekend I took a trip to South Bend, Indiana for their "Hall of Fame to Notre Dame" race. I was in the half marathon, Alana and Candace were in the 5K. Although I missed Nate's company, it was fun to have a girl weekend. South Bend is about 2 and a half hours from Toledo; so compared to our trip to Nauvoo it felt like about ten minutes in the car.
I haven't run in a half marathon for three years, so I was a bit rusty and nervous but I had a great time. I had good company, wonderful weather, no injuries, and no crazy thoughts until only the very last mile ("what if I just sat down, right here?"). The end of the race was super cool-the finish line was on the 50 yard line of the football stadium. I ran through the corridor, burst out onto the field (determined to beat the bathroom guy*), and then my vanity got in the way. I slowed down so I didn't look ridiculous in pictures, so bathroom guy went speeding past me. It maybe wouldn't be so embarrassing if he didn't have gray hair. In spite of my lack of speed (I think some could've cartwheeled through the race faster than I ran), I had a great time and actually felt good throughout the race. Quick update: It's now Wednesday and it's the first dayI can go up/down stairs normally again. Victory!
*barely into the 3rd mile, he cut into a patch of (not way private) trees and went for it. I think I may have stared (I'm not a veteran runner okay) because I was shocked at his willingness to (almost) expose himself. Just a few more feet would've been fine with me.






7 comments:
Yeah for running etiquette at races. Oh, wait, what etiquette. Good job!!!! I need to figure out when I want to do another. I run in the mornings with some friends but not as fun if your not training for something.
You have got to be kidding! The guy just peed right in front of you and everyone else? Don't they have port-a-potties along the way? I mean, what do the women do, the same? Please tell me NO!! It is definitely right for him to be labeled the bathroom guy for the rest on his life. Great job on the running.
I'm simply amazed at your running ability. Way to go!!
Well...I didn't see any skin...but he was dangerously close. I think it's a perk of a male runner only...luckily!!
Great job Liz! I love your blog stories - so funny! I am so impressed!! You are great!
Impressive Liz.
I absolutely love how you can't just brag that you ran the 1/2 marathon, but you have to include a hilarious story with a guy nick named BATHROOM MAN!!!
How is it that you can't get through a couple of hours with out spotting the one guy that is being completely inappropriate???
I'm impressed. Congrats!
Post a Comment