Friday, June 1, 2012

Staying Classy

To mark the end of my first semester of internship, Memorial Day, and just a general need to get out of town, we headed to San Diego for the weekend.  We felt the slight sting of the absence of my travel agent perks, but we branched out and had a good time.  We went on VRBO and found us a lovely, available, and inexpensive rental to escape to.  Nate was able to get off work a bit early on Friday, so we enjoyed a drive mostly in the light of day, stopped at a ratty Wendy's in Victorville, CA and found our little studio by about 10:30pm.  Luckily we didn't disturb the drunken party in full swing next door!

Nate-su in the apartment.  It was small, but very cute with cool decor...like Nate in a mirror.  :)


After sleeping in, we roused ourselves and walked down along the beach to Crystal Pier.  We stayed in Pacific Beach (near Mission Bay/SeaWorld) because we love that area; this trip was no exception. 


Actually walking under the pier was just as frightening as walking on the pier, interestingly enough. 

We took this picture on the pier whilst a conversation re: "what was Michael Jackson's best song" was in full swing.  I should've told them "Ben" and they could've called it a day, but I decided to stay out of it. 


The San Diego Temple...view from the Marshall's parking lot...Nate packed precious view shirts so he is now the owner of a smashing purple Michael Weston-esque number. 


Liz prior to fish taco inhalation.  I was we were ravenous by the time we found Fred's Mexican Cafe, so it could've been disgusting and I wouldn't have cared.  But it was not, so I did. 


On the beach after church.  What happened at church, you ask?  We visited our favorite ward house and met Mitt Romney in Sunday School.  It was a bit crazy to see the Secret Service at church, but after awhile it felt normal.  And at the risk of sounding incredibly cliche, that Brother Romney is very charismatic and very real all at the same time. 

Nate walking in from his frolic in the water.  Regardless of how cold it is, he'll still go.  I was a bit chilly, but he said the water was great.  (He sometimes lies)


Walking along the boardwalk after the swim.  Also not pictured is our evening jog along the boardwalk.  Saturday night we ran from our apartment down to Belmont Park and back.  I just mapped and it was about a 5.5 mile route (much longer than I'm up to at home, but the beautiful scenery, ocean breeze, and inebriated beach walkers made it seem easy-peasy). 


Shopping at Midway.  We did think about visiting the USS Midway, but we reasoned to would be a nice trip when we have a bit more cash...incidentally, we found a Sam Goody location with a fabulous sale that allowed us to get all three seasons of Arrested Development for chicken feed


We ended up eating at Hot Dog on a Stick before we headed out...I am thankful to them for creating a turkey dog that makes me feel somewhat less guilty.  Apparently I didn't feel too bad because our dinner ended up being In-N-Out...oopsie!  Gluttony aside, we had a nice, simple, relaxing weekend in 65 degree weather...and before you get too jealous, we came back to 100 degree weather and more roaches than I care to mention.  Hurray for summer and hurray for weekend trips!  :) 


1 comment:

Our Family said...

Ah.... looks like fun!! I need a day at the beach. Make sure you go again soon for us since you live much closer :)