This will be only my second Thanksgiving that I can remember away from home. A couple of nights ago that meant we would need to purchase items for the upcoming feast. Nathan and I went to Kroger (Smith's in the west) "early" so it wouldn't be busy/crazy. I've decided this Kroger will always seem as if there is a food sapping holiday approaching. Last week, the Ohio State v. Michigan game depleted the chip and ice cream aisles, so even though we didn't exactly watch the game, at least we know what most people ate while they watched it. Anyway, back to Kroger-Nate pointed out that the store is just small in general, so it always seems crowded, regardless of the time of day/amount of inhabitants. As we efficiently raced through the aisles picking up green beans, whipping cream, and onions (not for the same recipe), I noticed a lot of people hanging out in groups in various parts of the store. Were these newly assembled forums, discussing which stuffing recipe is best, whether ham or turkey is appropriate for Thanksgiving? No, I think shopping becomes a family thing in these parts-our family unit was all there, why not everyone else's?
Now that I'm away from the store, away from work, and away from the prevalent accent, I do feel very thankful for all of our blessings. We have a comfortable apartment, complete with a sweet grandma for a neighbor, I have a job that I dislike, but one that is tolerable (this is a big deal-check my Ohio record), and we have great family and friends, many of those we will get to see for Christmas (including a new nephew that is becoming restless). On top of all that, we'll still be able to enjoy a good meal out here-we are supplying dessert and sides, the Browns are providing the potatoes and ham...guess we know what discussion group they found in Kroger... Happy Thanksgiving!!


4 comments:
Have fun with your homemade sides!!! I am sure you will miss my homemade rolls :) We will miss you but excited to see you in a month!!
Happy Thanksgiving Liz and Nate! Sorry I haven't actually met you yet, Nate... I'm glad you guys are getting settled. If you ever come through Vegas, you better call Liz!! Happy Thanksgiving Harrison Family! Love and Miss you all. <3 Amanda
You guys are so cute! I was thinking about you yesterday and having to be away from home. It sounds like your thanksgiving was good still. I hope you guys are surviving the first semester of law school. As Glen keeps telling me, it's 1/6th of the way done. :) I hope we get to meet up when you are home for christmas! Miss you!
We missed you guys, but were glad you found an adoptive family to eat the thanksgibbing meal with.
I am thankful for Maalox, Zantac, Tums smooth dissolve, Chocolate Ensure, and that Matt takes care of me.
Post a Comment