Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hilton* Idol

So here's the deal.  I graduated in December.  I applied to license soonish after, and I am currently waiting on the board to approve me to be a CPC-I (Clinical Professional Counselor-Intern).  Though the word "intern" is still attached, it's kind of a big deal. 
 
 
And I only say that because unless I have that...no practicing as a counselor for Liz.  I officially parted ways with Spring Mountain in January, but had not worked there since early December.  During my off time, I hunted for an internship site (which I found!).  I'm very excited to be (eventually) working for HeadsUp here in Las Vegas.  The snag is my license.  I don't have one, so no worky. 
 
Money was something I wanted/needed, so I did the next best thing...I applied with a temp agency and got a fairly quick response.  OfficeTeam was sort of my friend in Ohio, and I've once again joined forces with them.  They landed me a couple of interviews, one of which for Hilton* timeshares in their financial services department.  I had been fairly warned, but I've never experienced an "interview" like this before.  It felt more like this:
 
 
I arrived with 40 of my new friends to interview for one of 12 spots.  I recognized a friend I'd made at the temp agency so I got reacquainted with her as I scanned the crowd.  During my scan...I recognized someone. Who I worked with at another employer.  Who was fired for credit card fraud.  Who wasn't supposed to be out among us contestants interviewing for a job in financial services.  Oh, and?  Later on during introductions I figured out she has decided to go by another name completely.  It was a fun morning.  We were broken up into smaller groups.  She was in mine...it was a fun morning.  We had various tasks to work through, including team building exercises and logic tests.  I was picked to move onto the next round, and then the next.  By this time I was also sick over the idea of a credit card thief having access to a bunch of credit card numbers.  When I arrived home, 4 hours later...an anonymous call was made and the information the company needed was given...and a few days later I was informed I'd made it to the final round of Hilton Idol! 
 
To be frank, this was a coup in the sense that I wanted someone to pay me.  Yes...I think that's it.  Looking back, I think I was spoiled with my work at the hospital; I loved my groups and felt I was always learning.  Re-entering a call center world (sigh) has been difficult on my ego.  However I like the cash. In addition, I figure there is something for me to learn in all this, right?  Right?
 

*name has been changed

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Yes, there is always something to learn! You can just hope it will be a quick adventure. :)

Our Family said...

Temporary....temporary... temporary :)