Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Toronto!

Last weekend, Nate and I headed North to Canada to see what was so great about it. Turns out there's a lot. Here's a few of the pictures of some of the things we got to see/do.

My main motivation for the trip was to see Depeche Mode in concert. It had been rainy but cleared up in time for us to park it on a stretch of wet lawn (we came prepared). We were lucky enough to sit by some friendly/drunk Canadians. Turns out it's acceptable to toast the performing band with a half full cup of beer in Canada as well. The concert itself? Awesome.

If my smile looks strained, it's really fear. I'm sitting on the glass floor of the observation area of the CN tower. At that point, we are about 1135ft up. Heights freak Nate out, and I felt brave until we got to this floor. It's crazy looking that far down.

Horseshoe Falls, Canada side. The Canadians really got the better end of the deal on this, so I'm glad we entered from the Canadian side. Nate and I found ourselves saying "our side" in regard to the Canadian Falls. I'm not sure how we became so quickly superior to our own nationality, but it seemed like the right thing to do.


Niagara Falls, American side; Bridal Veil Falls. This picture is from our journey on the Maid of the Mist. If you look carefully, you can see the little ant people (in yellow) traipsing around the base of the falls. Silly Americans...


Nate and I after our journey on the Maid of the Mist. It should be called the Maid of the Possibly Ruining your Camera because of the Water or Maid of the Anxious Tourist Passengers. Or just the Maid of the Wet. My jeans were soaked* with water by the time this ride was over.

*how you know you are having a good time-eh Ruth?

Me looking down into the water below the falls. This stretch of water is purportedly some of the most deadly rapids in the world. While at the CN Tower, Nate discussed his fear of heights; here I realized the extent of my fear of water.

After our water looking, we took a break to rest our feet. It quickly became a celebration of one's feet drying. Eventually, I gave in (not in the same fashion) and let mine dry off a little.

We waited for it to get dark so we could see the falls at night. Our camera was dying, but we managed to get some really cool shots of the lights they project onto the falls.

Before we left for home, we walked back to Brookfield Place for lunch and a photo shoot. It's a great building and it was fun to pretend Nate was just taking a lunch break from his high rise office. Nah, that doesn't sound fun either...we were just in Sunday clothes.

Me checking out the outside of what we finally figured out to be a restaurant. I like a little Chihuly anytime, but I hoped their decoration didn't represent any of the food served there.
We love Toronto!

5 comments:

CANDACE said...

NEAT! we'll have to get some passports & check it out. think we'll skip that observation deck thing. can you believe people try/have tried to go over the falls?

Ruth said...

Looks like a fabulous trip! And thank you for bringing up a horrible college dating memory that I haven't thought about for years!!! Sick.

Jody Neeley said...

I agree Maid of the Wet would be a better name! We have never been there, I would love to go some day.

Dennis & Hollie said...

Oh Canada! My home and naked land! Okay, so that's not how the Canadian national anthem goes, but that's how I sing it to my Canadian husband...It makes him laugh. I am partial to Canada and all it has to offer...It really is one of the best kept secrets for tourism. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone! You need to come and go to Alberta with Dennis and me sometime! We will take you on a snowcat on to the toe of a huge glacier! What an adventure!

Our Family said...

Awesome!!!!! I bet the falls at night were amazing!!!!