Last weekend, Nate and I went to the Polish Festival on Lagrange street in Toledo. It was definitely something that we did.
Liz posing in front of a tiny Ferris wheel. Look at the guy behind me-he could totally grab the top if he jumped a lil.

The church that Nate was scoping out when a guy offered to take a picture with the two of us. I awkwardly ignored him and Nate eventually said "no, we don't look very good" (we were some of the best dressed festival goers). After comparing notes with each other, we came to the conclusion that we were both concerned about the dude stealing our camera.
Because we wasted/used some of our precious cash on the entrance fee, we had to be strategic with our dinner choices. I opted for a "pig in a blanket" because I loved those at Midvalley* and it carried the attractive sticker price of only $3. If the picture of my dinner looks more like fake/real Halloween organs, it's because it did when I ate it as well. I was afraid, but I lucked out and it was really quite tasty**. For the record, blankets =cabbage to this crowd, so careful when considering any bedding purchases next time you are in Poland, even if they are less expensive (say, $3 or so).
*I should've been afraid then as well
**what my mom says when something is good for you and tolerable
Poor Nate. Ever the adventurous one, he went for the big ticket item, the $4 kielbasa. Before he ordered, Nate asked the 14 year old girl taking his cash if the kielbasa was any good. "Sure", she said. That should've been his first clue. After finding a spot of grass the ants really found homey, we sat down and Nate dug in. After the first bite, he started eating faster, so I knew it was gross. He's eaten entire meals he's hated and I've never had a clue. Because I'm so impressed by his ability to lie with food*, I now make it a game to see if I can tell. One of the signs of hatred is speed eating. To top it off, the soggy bun was made with rye bread. Nate hates rye just about as much as he hates Winnie the Pooh. (that's a whole lot, I'm sad to say).
*Ruth once tried to tell me how good the jalepeno corn dogs that we bought at a gas station were. She ate all of hers and seemed more determined after I stopped at one bite. I assume she's learned her lesson by now.
As we were walking back to our car, we saw this guy. He was carrying a totally greasy funnel cake that I assumed he'd enjoy once he got home. I thought he was really cute and I was impressed with his reckless food choice.
The Toledo sunset we enjoyed on our way to Panera for a salad after we left the Polish Festival.

4 comments:
Ah, the food of festivals.... good times!!!
Classic good times. I too liked the Midvalley pigs, and if I close my eyes, I can still taste the jalepeno dog, and remember our subsequent visit to see Mr. Michael Flatley's Chest.. I mean dancers..
Since turning 30, I can no longer make reckless eating decisions, and certainly not any on a dare, or the attempt to get someone else to eat something disgusting.
Whatever Ruth...don't tell me you wouldn't take a dare (bean juice anyone?)
I also intensely hate rye bread...disgusting. Liz, they could have called yours a Pig in a Wet Green Slimy Blanket, but I don't think they would fool, er, sell as many.
Liz, I love your adventures! More than loving your adventures, I love your pictures with the narrative comments. I feel as if I am there with you and Nate...although for this expedition I am glad I was not. I am not sure this pregnant lady could have handled some of the culinary delights you all found.
Post a Comment