I get motion sickness. Every year that goes by, it seems to get worse. When Ruth and I went on our cruise to Bermuda, a friend suggested Bonine for said motion sickness (thank you Sylvia). It worked like a charm, but somehow I forgot about it.
Since we have moved to Ohio, Nate has made it clear that he would like to visit Cedar Point. As exciting as it sounded to visit a semi-famous roller coaster park, I imagined a $45 ticket to nausea. Inspiration hit and I found some Bonine at Wal*Mart, so I felt prepared for our Memorial Day trip to Sandusky, Ohio. We left on a Friday night, planning to arrive around 8:30 or 9:00pm. Thanks to my inattention to detail and low blood sugar, we got to the hotel around 10:30pm (yes, one exit too soon can make a difference). Nothing much was open, so Nate and I toddled over to the local Mickey D's and started our weekend away off right.
Nate and I decided Sandusky/Huron Ohio would be lovely areas to live, if one could find a job. I guess I would feel the same about Toledo, except we'd have to find really good jobs and an exclusive neighborhood.
The first full day we were in Sandusky, we headed for Cedar Point. I hadn't heard much about the place, just something from the travel channel*. We managed to get stuck hanging half upside down (and not in any danger), but my mind was tempted to wonder if it would happen later, at a less opportune moment and on a more frightening ride. It didn't and it turned out the most traumatizing event of the day would occur in the line for an indoor roller coaster, complete with black lights and fluorescent "decoration" (that's how it always happens, right?). Anyway, although my stomach was more sound than I had hoped for, I still got a bit nauseous after too many quick lines, so by the time we made it in to the hot, dark line for the Disaster Transport, I was feeling crazy. A group of "14 year old boy" smelling boys behind us didn't help much either. I kept covering my face, leaning on Nate, and looking for, then considering the nearest exit for my escape. In retrospect, I couldn't have been much more fun that a crying toddler (or 14 year old boy), but I guess it's a great test for later on, right?
I ended up surviving the entire day and we stayed right until the park closed; we rounded off the evening by jump starting a German guy's German car and eating at...McDonald's. Embarrassing, but I did choose something different from the menu.
The next day Nate and I took lots of naps, and discovered other sights around town; that evening we went to TGI Friday's near Cedar Point. We arrived, and watched while 4 hostesses dug around in someone's makeup purse and chatted. Nate asked how long the wait was. Hostess: 25 minutes. Nate: Okay Hostess: Do you still want to be on the list?? We were called five minutes later, so I decided a smug look was in order as we passed the Clinique counter. My dinner was tasty, Nate's was not, so we decided that dessert would act as the equalizer. I ordered a piece of oreo cake. The waitress decided it would be a positive selling point to add: "Do you know how many calories that has??? EIGHT HUNDRED". I'm not a violent person, but I suddenly wondered if my feelings were close. (Sorry to ruin it for everyone else, but I figure you make as well share my pain). I laughed and smiled politely...and ordered my cake.
*The availability of this channel in a hotel room is half the vacation for Nate




Since we have moved to Ohio, Nate has made it clear that he would like to visit Cedar Point. As exciting as it sounded to visit a semi-famous roller coaster park, I imagined a $45 ticket to nausea. Inspiration hit and I found some Bonine at Wal*Mart, so I felt prepared for our Memorial Day trip to Sandusky, Ohio. We left on a Friday night, planning to arrive around 8:30 or 9:00pm. Thanks to my inattention to detail and low blood sugar, we got to the hotel around 10:30pm (yes, one exit too soon can make a difference). Nothing much was open, so Nate and I toddled over to the local Mickey D's and started our weekend away off right.
Nate and I decided Sandusky/Huron Ohio would be lovely areas to live, if one could find a job. I guess I would feel the same about Toledo, except we'd have to find really good jobs and an exclusive neighborhood.
The first full day we were in Sandusky, we headed for Cedar Point. I hadn't heard much about the place, just something from the travel channel*. We managed to get stuck hanging half upside down (and not in any danger), but my mind was tempted to wonder if it would happen later, at a less opportune moment and on a more frightening ride. It didn't and it turned out the most traumatizing event of the day would occur in the line for an indoor roller coaster, complete with black lights and fluorescent "decoration" (that's how it always happens, right?). Anyway, although my stomach was more sound than I had hoped for, I still got a bit nauseous after too many quick lines, so by the time we made it in to the hot, dark line for the Disaster Transport, I was feeling crazy. A group of "14 year old boy" smelling boys behind us didn't help much either. I kept covering my face, leaning on Nate, and looking for, then considering the nearest exit for my escape. In retrospect, I couldn't have been much more fun that a crying toddler (or 14 year old boy), but I guess it's a great test for later on, right?
I ended up surviving the entire day and we stayed right until the park closed; we rounded off the evening by jump starting a German guy's German car and eating at...McDonald's. Embarrassing, but I did choose something different from the menu.
The next day Nate and I took lots of naps, and discovered other sights around town; that evening we went to TGI Friday's near Cedar Point. We arrived, and watched while 4 hostesses dug around in someone's makeup purse and chatted. Nate asked how long the wait was. Hostess: 25 minutes. Nate: Okay Hostess: Do you still want to be on the list?? We were called five minutes later, so I decided a smug look was in order as we passed the Clinique counter. My dinner was tasty, Nate's was not, so we decided that dessert would act as the equalizer. I ordered a piece of oreo cake. The waitress decided it would be a positive selling point to add: "Do you know how many calories that has??? EIGHT HUNDRED". I'm not a violent person, but I suddenly wondered if my feelings were close. (Sorry to ruin it for everyone else, but I figure you make as well share my pain). I laughed and smiled politely...and ordered my cake.
*The availability of this channel in a hotel room is half the vacation for Nate

1 comment:
Ha ha ha remember when that girl totally threw up right by the elevator?? As gross as it was, sometimes I would look at a pile of vomit and think "Well, if you ate all of that, you deserve to throw up. I know it's free, but show some control!!" Sounds like lots of fun!!! Cute pictures of the kitties.
Post a Comment