I would/will post a birthday entry for anyone else in the Toledo family, so it's only fair that I post about my own, right? Last year, on my birthday, I woke up, put my hair in an up do of sorts (woke up late) and went to work. The work day was void of any birthday fun, aside from my lunch with Lyndsay (thanks, friend). I had only been at my job a few months, and was planning to split at any moment; maybe they could sense it, because no one acknowledged my birthday. I learned later that no one's birthday is celebrated, unless the birthday person should bring a treat in, begging people to ask what the big occasion is. I felt slightly consoled when I was finally clued in to their fun protocol, but on my actual happy birthday, I wanted to throw a cupcake at someone...but I didn't have any to throw since I didn't make any for myself. As a side note, working at the University of Phoenix completely spoiled me; any holiday, birthday, baby, wedding, Wednesday, etc. was celebrated in our office-it was great.
This year, in preparation to becoming a year older and wiser, I decided to act like it and took the day off from work. It took (professional) begging, but I got my wish. It was nice because Nate didn't have class until that night, it snowed like crazy all day, and I wanted to stay home and stare at the Christmas tree (I've since taken it down, okay). We went out to lunch at the Elephant Bar Restaurant, then walked around the mall until my feet hurt (bad shoe choice) and Nate had earned a spot in heaven. He braved several stores that annoyed even me, but I still wanted to shop in them. The cats had planned a crazy party for me at home, I got my cupcakes, some fun presents, some fun birthday wishes, and I've eased gracefully into 28....
What has been your favorite birthday day?
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Happy Belated Birthday! What a lame friend and VTer I am!! Happy Birthday!!! You are looking good for that old age of 28!!
The annoyed kitty with a cupcake on her (?) head makes my day.
Due to my horrible memory, I'll say that last year was one of my best birthdays ever. It probably saved me to be able to leave an interminable Toledo winter for sunnier skies in Phoenix.
Here's to many more years of January 14th bday lunches with Sam Sam and Liz Liz!
Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment