Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Duplex Fever

It's February (not Febuary; Nate would like to clarify) already. And while weather.com says our current temp is 12 degrees, the sky is perfectly blue and the sun is out. The sun is a victory; however, it's still not warm enough to melt the ice on our road (causing me to very nearly hit a tree this afternoon-it was almost funny and expensive). This permachill gives us very few entertainment destinations including the following: Costco, the mall, the YMCA...and Wal*Mart if desperate. Otherwise Nate, the kitties and I are stuck indoors. In order to counter the effects of duplex fever, some goals have been made (some individual and some collective) to pass the time until Ohio defrosts...in May.

-I enrolled in yoga again; it's very relaxing and I've missed watching an 80 yr old man prove how much more flexible he is than I am.


-Nate and I make an effort to work out in some form most nights. Most of the time, that means time at the YMCA; Nate throws out sports lingo every now and again to fit in with the menfolk. In the same vein, I'm planning on a half-marathon in June. The race finishes in Notre Dame stadium; if that isn't enough motivation to finish, I'm sure there will at least be a bag of goodies with my name on it waiting for me.

-I've been expanding my (waning) Toledo music collection. Circuit City has been having their last hurrah sale here so on Saturday Nate and I stopped by to give them a nice send off. While milling about the store, we were favored with 90s hits, including an unedited version of "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. If you don't know the song, don't look it up. Even the "clean" version is gross and I was ready for a shower by the time the song was over. Up until that point I was feeling sorry for the employees who would be jobless soon. I'm glad they found a way to express their 90s angst about the situation.

-We've been trying to eat a bit more healthy. We went to Subway for lunch last Saturday. "Heather"* didn't seem to care that we were a) trying to eat healthy b) customers. I was tempted to throw my sandwich back at her...that would've been fewer calories.
*sandwich artist, or

2 comments:

Our Family said...

I find it disturbing that I used to listen to Closer all the time in my room at a very loud volume in high school. I know my parents could hear every word with the volume up so loud but still never said anything.......

Jeff & Liberty said...

I can sympathize, except I totally envy the fact that you have a Costco, mall, YMCA, and even a Wal-mart. I have to drive at least three hours for that luxury. My options include Rite-Aid, White's market, and bothering Jeff at the college. Pretty awesome. The sad thing is, I am beginning to realize it could be much worse.

I at least have a DVR. Some folks here actually listen to the Saturday night radio shows, or they simply listen to police scanners for entertainment. If I'm here next year perhaps I'll have to invest in one, just so I can fit in.

I'm really impressed with the half marathon idea, but am sure I will never attempt such a feat myself.