I'm torn. I love autumn; I think it's my favorite season because it's so difficult to mess up. Last year it was so pretty here. I think the fall foliage tricked me into feeling safe about the winter to come. This year I know better, so while I'm excited for leaves, excuses to buy spicy candles, eat pumpkin-y foods, etc. I know my eventual fate.
It's early September, and I already feel like I'm done for. Nate and I had a discussion today about how to keep our heat bill lower this year, although we went swimming less than two weeks ago. I will make an effort to lay off depressing-weather-update-I can't-believe-I-live-here posts, so instead I will just say that there are already orangey leaves kicking about and I want to glue them back on the trees.
Reminds me of "The Last Leaf". If there is anything as depressing as 1-"Old Yeller" 2-"Where the Red Fern Grows" 3-"The Yearling", it's the "The Last Leaf". So that's basically how I feel, aside from the sick in bed, and totally disillusioned because a kind old man painted a leaf on a building part. No one has been that thoughtful yet. Maybe Nate can work something up this weekend.


7 comments:
I'm a little worried about winter out east as well... and couldn't agree with you more about the depressing book list.
if it makes you feel any better, the leaves are still leafy & green outside of our windows. you can come any time to gaze out our window until they're dead & gone if it'll make you feel better? (except call first, because otherwise it won't be a neat & tidy place to gaze at green leaves.)
I have another idea: Complete denial. If you stay homebound, and keep all the windows shut, and play the beach boys all day long, maybe you can make believe you live in Florida!
What ideas did you come up with to keep your heat bills low? One method we use: DO NOT under any circumstances allow the City of Toledo to estimate your gas(or water or electricity) consumption.
My ideas so far are limited to putting plastic over our windows and holding the cats a bit more. Nate isn't sold on my second idea.
Enjoy the beautiful fall. I'm jealous.
You have my complete sympathy.
ps-I wish I would have known you were in Toledo. We drove through there in Aug!
Post a Comment