Monday, September 15, 2008

Can you be more pacific?

This maybe isn't much of a post, but I love misused words/phrases. I've heard a handful recently and I wanted to share:

-"she can talk the fur off of..." (never bothered to finish. Reason? Lack of info).

-"it's as hot as a scorcher out there!" (translation: way hot)

-"he was trying to color code it" (I think they meant sugar coat. I hope. Maybe it would feel better about bad news if the colors were organized?)

And not recent, but still my favorite... "well, you know the saying, 'idle hands...' " (he didn't finish, and I was tempted, but didn't ask, "do you know the saying??)

Do you have a favorite misused word or saying?

8 comments:

CANDACE said...

was it you i was talking to recently about incorrect use of the apostrophe? as in "peach's for sale" etc.?

i'll have to think about misused phrases...

Jessarella said...

"Is what I want is..." Betty from Billings.

Ruth said...

"It's a mute point..." (favored by one of Matt's coworkers)

"Irregardless.."

And of course, "to be more pacific.." as opposed to Atlantic?

D. James said...

You already stole mine - my former supervisor who thought pacific=specific.

Lyndsay said...

"Mute point" is my fav. "Mute court" during law school was a challenging but fulfilling exercise in hand gestures. LEGAL hand gestures. How's that going for Nate?

celeste said...

"stop beating the bush" - granted this came from a person that English was their 2nd language, but it still makes me giggle

Emily said...

I worked with someone who thought that the phrase was, "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes." Funny stuff.

Jon said...

I once saw a book that was about commonly misunderstood song lyrics. The title of the book was "He's Got the Whole World in His Pants".