Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rabbits about that size

Our cats were due for a check up of sorts. Nate had a "law review v. moot court" football game (self professed "battle of the nerds") scheduled right around the same time, so while maybe I deserved to go through the cat gauntlet in the car again, I wasn't looking forward to it. To prepare, I purchased a second pet carrier (pet taxi, to be official). Ruth asked me why I couldn't just use a banker's box. She really loves animals.

The second cat carrier made my transition to the car much easier than last time. Kathryn had been napping, so I took advatage of her confusion, shoved her in the carrier and threw a couple of treats at her. I stopped off at the school to see if Nate could come along, and the four of us headed to the vet. While we were waiting, a man with his two miniture dobermans came in. Their owners asked if we had cats (Nate was holding two cat carriers) and proceeded to tell us his dogs had never seen a cat. Before I could ask him how that was possible, Nate showed off Kathryn and Mal. Once he saw them, he said, "oh ya, these guys take down things like that all the time, you know, rabbits about that size, they bring em right to me". Dead, I assume. So to translate, his dogs can kill my cats. So if anyone is curious, it is really awkward to talk about pet deaths with a stranger...in a facility that serves to save animals.

4 comments:

Jessarella said...

Oh, I am cracking up! Can't wait to see you.

D. James said...

Ah the vet, where all great stories begin... or end... or stop by for a while.

Natalie said...

Just checkin' in! Cute kitties!

Ruth said...

Now just wait... that makes me sound bad. I just meant that for a temporary, and cheap transportation device, a box could work. The handles would provide necessary holes. I like animals... I just choose not to live with them right now...