Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Ohio!

Although Ohio gained statehood in March, not August, it became a state for us one year ago yesterday. I still hesitate (read: cringe) to call it "my" state, yet as we apply/fight for residency however, I am more inclined to say whatever it is that will give us a tuition break. So in case the University of Toledo Residency Committee is reading...I love Ohio and will never leave. Never. Moving on, we've been here a year!

To commemorate such an event, I feel the need to review my introduction to Toledo...toll roads were an unknown to Nate and I, so we quickly ran out of money on I-80. The last toll booth I stopped at was my favorite (I'm sure the booth worker's too): at that point, I had no money, save a few foreign coins, and I had lost the ticket I was supposed to give them. I was near tears, but I also figured she had to let me through at some point. She did and gave us a new route into town that avoided the rest of the tolls. We rolled in, saw a Costco on the verge of a grand opening, and somehow managed to find our way to our apartment. Looking back, Toledo may not be a booming metropolis, but it's still big enough to consider our apartment discovery miraculous.

Once we arrived, we crept in (it was 1am), our apartment and a summer's worth of heat welcomed us. The apartment was completely bare, hot and I was so tired I wasn't rational. Nate started moving around the blinds and windows in an effort to cool the place down. It was a good idea, but...most of the windows/blinds Nate opened or pulled up came crashing down, dramatically showing us that we would be renting an "old soul". Sometime around there, I started crying because I hadn't yet (it seemed like the time). It was so hot that we decided a visit to the local Comfort Inn would be the best choice for the evening, so instead of worrying about never waking up (from the heat), I worried about my car getting broken into.

Since then, I have worked 3 jobs, Nate has finished 1 year of law school, we've purchased 3 cats, joined the local YMCA, bought a Costco membership, and most important, learned how to enjoy life with lots of (foreign) change.

Here are a few pictures of our journey east.


Liz trying to look as much like Abe as possible

Nate studying a map in Wyoming

Generic Motel: The first fly is free!
(this place is in Nebraska for all who want to avoid or experience)

4 comments:

CANDACE said...

we are glad y'all are here!

D. James said...

Wow. You're getting me super-amped for my upcoming drive through Toledo later this month.

Our Family said...

Congratulations on the anniversary :) One year down. We miss you guys but know many more fun adventures await you......

M2 (Melissa) said...

Well we are glad you survived and are here in our part of Ohio. - Morgan