Thursday, July 31, 2008

Times Like These

I've taken note how much Nate loves surprises for birthdays, Christmas, etc., so I tried it out on him. I found out that the Foo Fighters were stopping in Cleveland, so I bought him tickets in April and had to bite my lip several times to avoid ruining the secret. Not sure if we had both passed the age of concerts being cool, I asked him fake questions involving Lyndsay buying tickets to a Interpol concert for her husband Erik. I'm a horrible liar, so I didn't expect Nate to go for it. I got lucky and I either pulled out a good performance or he was still sleepy. In any case, we both ended up with a surprise. Nate with the tickets, and me coming away happy that I've seen Mr. Grohl in concert.

Most of the video we took turned out better than our pictures. In it, we tried to include the drunk trio in front of us. I had forgotten how much meaning raising one's plastic cup of beer to the sky really has. We were also reminded that "rock on fingers" (don't pretend you have no idea what I'm talking about) are still way cool. Although I continue to age, I still think I can pass for a young concert goer. I wondered about the dude next to us...he was late 30s (fine) and had brought his wife and kids with him. He knew every single word (that I could see anyway) to each song; while impressive to me, I wasn't convinced his 8 year old boy really cared. Should he?


We had reserved a hotel room across the street from the concert venue, so parking wasn't an issue, nor was driving home two hours in a sleepy/deaf state. We stayed in Cleveland the next day (last Saturday) and looked around. There is actually a surprising amount to do in Cleveland, but we settled on the "Vatican Splendors" exhibit, a car museum and a big candy store. We spent too much time at the exhibits to have a lot of time with the candy. We reluctantly shuffled out of the sunny candy store and found ourselves in a Wendy's location with openly defiant/arguing workers. I got a salad cause most of it is pre-packaged. Eek.


It's a Delorean!


It's a...something!


After the concert

During the concert

3 comments:

cs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D. James said...

Good to know that the rock on fingers are still going strong.

Ruth said...

I wanted to see video of Nate doing the rocker.. but then again, I know he will happily do it in person. Barry Gibbs haunts my dreams.