Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I am job

After a significant hiatus, I consider myself a working woman once again! I applied, interviewed, was offered a position and started working at Travel all within about a week's time. Because of their speed, I didn't have much time to contemplate the drastic changes I would be going through. I've only worked for two days now, and we live close enough for me to go home for lunch, so I haven't gone through apartment withdrawals yet...I'm keeping a close watch.
My office is just about 10 minutes away from home, down the street from Costco and the University (where Nate lives during the day), and across from a cemetery, so I have just about everything I need. And while nothing could rival my office/window arrangement from my last job (thanks University of Phoenix), I do sit by a window once again. The blinds are pretty much closed all day, but it's been a real kick to peek through them and see a bit of sky. It feels strange to see the outdoors while working in travel agency because my last office had windows, but only to the hallways....that eventually led to....the outdoors. I miss GoGo for many reasons (mostly my friends), but it was nothing short of magical to work all day in a room and have no clue what the weather, or even the state looked like. I haven't really gotten to know our mailman at the new place, and unless Keith requested a transfer, I may be disappointed. Keith is the GoGo mailman that = a father figure of sorts. He constantly checked on my dating status, and heartily encouraged me (bi-monthly; sometimes while I was on a phone call) to marry a good Mormon guy. By the time Nate came along I felt it necessary for the two to meet; Keith let me know what a great young man Nate seemed like--how could I go wrong with such an endorsement??
This week I have experienced several reminders of my days at GoGo, because for the second time in my life I work with a dark-haired, hefty, slightly lisped lone man of the office. This time his name is John and not as funny as Jeff, but I'm tempted to ask him if he has a brother that also once loved travel. Happy Halloween-I'm not even considering dressing up for work; one year, my manager Diane dressed up as a pumpkin. No one else really dressed up, and her pumpkin didn't seem too dedicated to covering the majority of her thighs...I couldn't tell if she was upset by our lack of Halloween spirit or her lack of Halloween pants.



P.S. Nate really enjoyed the ward Halloween party.

3 comments:

Jessarella said...

That is so funny, I totally remember the pumpkin outfit, what a classic! Does Peter at your work resemble Peter Petegrew like G-Unot? You are making me miss the windows to the halls, I had to look at a thunder storm out my windows at home today. I am glad you found a job. Sounds like it is in a perfect location, and I know you will be great at it.
Miss you!! - Jess

Kara said...

YAY! I'm so glad you finally found a job! I hope you like it and it's better then the "retail" position you held for SO long. ;) GoGo was a VERY nice office...and you had the coolest email address from that place. :)

Taralee said...

Liz...so glad that we can keep in touch through the blogging world! Congratulations on your new job. Can't wait to see more updates.
( I ran into Gretchen the other day...at Midvalley...she said that Ruth is expecting, very exciting...pass on my congrats to her!)