Toledo has been our home for a little over two months now, and while Nate says he feels like he's comfy here, I'm still in my transitional phase. I don't understand why the roads are bad, but the parks are pretty. I don't understand why there is a guy working at the University of Toledo that has no idea what his department is in charge of, yet I keep getting ignored for interviews. I don't understand why our mail carrier picks up and delivers mail on some days, yet only delivers mail on others. And finally, I don't understand why Toledo has functioning traffic lights, yet many pedestrians pay no heed to their changing signals. Such are the nuances of Toledo that I have yet to fully comprehend, but I'll try--we've got the time.
While "holding out for a management position", I've taken time to get our house set up, which has included: unpacking, sans the heavy items (thanks Nate and Erik), staining a coffee table (the marker drawings can no longer be seen, Lizzie), and several trips to Target, BBB, and Pier One Imports. I'm not advertising for them, we just happened to have gift cards. If one is still unclear on what my daily routine consists of, imagine a stay at home mommy minus the kids. I'm assuming I get a lot more accomplished because I don't have those darn kids weaving through my ankles.
My stay in Toledo has also included some work experiences; fortunately/unfortunately, both were temporary positions. In August, I worked for Associated Spring Raymond for 2 weeks. At the end of the two weeks, I had established that my supervisor was fine with leaving for the afternoon without telling me, as well as adapting my name to "Lisa". My favorite part of the job was the parking lot-it was really pretty. I also had a two week stint at Dillard's. This allowed me to go back to my roots (Wal*Mart at 17) and remember what retail is like. Apparently my memory wasn't sharp enough, as jobs like that include a lot of standing around, folding clothes, and my wondering how I can manage to get any Sundays or holidays off while working there. As I never figured out an answer for the latter question, I decided to end my career in "fashion". My favorite part of the job was: leaving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Liz I don't know why you haven't had a blog before now. Your hilarious narratives of life have needed to be documented for quite some time now! I look forward to reading about all the future escapades, as I'm sure there will be many! ;)
I miss you. I look forward to reading your blog. I used to have one but I haven't done anything with it since the kids came. This is a good way to keep up to date on what is new with you !
Wow...Toledo sounds like a party! I miss you and reading your blogs will be what I need to get my LIZ time. :)
I hope that wasn't a rip on Wal~Mart #2207 (Groovin' in Fort Union). You know how returned missionaries say it was the best two years of their lives? Well, my best 2 years were spent in the secret alleyways of Wal~Mart... that is until I was framed for felony embezzlement. Oh well. All good things must end. I hope the sarcasm wasn't too subtle because it was definitely intended.
Post a Comment