Sunday, September 25, 2011

One Year

Today marks a year to the day that was my last day at my last job.  Like usual, I wasn't necessarily in love with my job, but the end of that job made a lot of things real to me.  The week that followed was one of the most difficult for me in recent years.  I had to continue to pack up the house (alone--Nate was still in Vegas), I had to say good-bye to what felt like everything and everyone, and we had to move across the country--again.  The whole moving thing isn't that impressive; many people have done it, and done it more than once or twice...but this is me we're talking about.  Once I finally gave up and learned to love Ohio, we had to go.  I was finally comfortable with our little (dumpy) apartment, comfortable with our semi-trashy rec center for work outs, comfortable with our ward, comfortable with our friends, and even our mall (we visited often for walks during the winter months).  I think somehow I needed to love it (flaws and) all, so I could learn what I needed to.  And learn I did, but once we packed up the truck and said good-bye, we've had to do it all over again.  The (almost) year mark of our arrival as a family into Las Vegas has caused me to evaluate my/our progress.

 Nate's evaluation is easier; he's worked anywhere he could, has landed in a good spot and continues to work at developing in his career. Because he's so positive, I always feel like I'm the one that has to be convinced that something is awesome, or even okay.  So the results of my evaluation?  I'm getting there.  Our apartment is roomy and not embarrassing for visitors, we have a little club house to work out in (although the retirees LOVE to remind us of the closing time, where weights should go, etc)...the rest of my list is becoming better all the time, but I'm a hard sell for new things.  (PS-why does the local mall in Toledo have an Express and Gap, but neither can be found in the local Vegas mall??)  We've loved being closer to family, and take every opportunity to visit; it's been nice becoming "regulars" again; we've also benefited from many visitors we wouldn't normally get to see.  So, perhaps, I should evaluate again: in comparison to the quote "bloom where you are planted", I've sprouted.  That's something, right? 

4 comments:

CANDACE said...

I can't believe it's been a year already! I am glad y'all are doing well in Vegas & that things are working out. It IS so nice to be closer to family. Still, I hope we can come visit y'all eventually. Having the two of you as friends was one of the best parts of being a Toledoan (Toledan?). <3

Stacey said...

New places and people are always an adjustment. I'm sure you will soon love Vegas for its many different qualities too. I have to say that as I read your post I'm reminded that you're Tom's sister. :) It's a good thing.

Our Family said...

Love having you guys closer and hosting our visits. One year ago we were in Disneyland.... hmmm... that sounds nice.

M. Harrison said...

We love you guys. It's hard to believe that it has already been a year. The time has gone by fast for me...I don't know about you. I hope that you come to like Vegas as the time goes by...I'm sure that you will.