Sunday, March 7, 2010

Now for something completely different:

Some may recall my experience in Kirtland when my parents came to visit. It was really the first time in my life that I'd be "accused" of being a mother in any way. I'm not really a motherly type (yet), plus I thought I looked slimmish, so I was taken off guard. I looked over my wardrobe, wondered what my figure was telling people, and eventually got over the situation.

Yesterday, I went with my friend Candace to help her find a stroller/car seat combo. I learned yesterday these are called "travel systems". I would assume a travel system is like maybe a car blanket for me to sleep in while Nate drives us somewhere. It's not a bad idea, really.

Anyway, I was trying to be the able bodied helper that I was assumed to be. I didn't exactly succeed in taking the stroller box from off the shelf, but that would've taken a service opportunity away from Jeremy*. Anyway, after Candace made her travel system choice, we headed over to the rockers and did what everyone does in a furniture department: sits around on something as if they were in the market for said item. Candace actually is, so I felt okay about it. My assistance didn't seem weird until right then. A women pointedly said "look at the mommies". Mommies. I was suddenly a partner! Once I realized what that meant, I wanted to yell after her "I'm not financially supporting her! I can't even support my husband!". I didn't, but checked over myself, much like I had done in October. What is my wardrobe telling people? Was I bossing Candace around? Maybe I'll let you judge for yourself. Here's Candace's account.


*Babies R US worker. Names have been changed because I never actually learned what his was.

5 comments:

CANDACE said...

You were a delightful SHOPPING partner, Liz, and not bossy in any way. :) thanks for your help!

anniebobannie said...

same thing happened to me once at babies r us!!!

M2 (Melissa) said...

Love this - you never look pregnant no matter what you may be wearing!!

Ruth said...

I have found that common sense isn't so common, and that many people should send their thoughts through the filter a few times before opening their mouths. :)

Our Family said...

Babies R Us is always a dangerous place. I have only been there like twice and that is enough for my lifetime. By the way what do you think of Glee, Ellen Degeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, etc. :P Oh and of course stop wearing the moomoos!!!!!!