Nate and I at the Stake Nativity Festival Dec. 2
I always have a hard time getting moving on Sunday mornings, and while our 1:00pm meeting start time should help, we usually manage to still arrive fashionably late. This most recent Sunday was no different, as we had stretched our nap schedule to the limit. As we got dressed and ready to go, I dreaded the idea of loading 40+ nativity sets back into our car to redistribute to the ward members. (I was in charge of my ward's contribution to the annual Nativity Festival that was held last weekend). I knew this process well, and after 6 or so times either loading/unloading, I wanted a miracle-I could hear the rain outside too. Nate got a call from our friend in the ward and got some unexpected news...church was canceled on account of the weather. The vain side of me felt cheated--I had purchased new tights to show off to the Young Women-I need to prove I am still stylish!-and I briefly wondered if my silent hope of a miracle had been granted...oops. The rain I had heard earlier had quickly turned to ice and Nate and I experienced our first ice storm. I've noticed we've had several firsts, most in the form of weather phenomena in Toledo, so add this one to the list.
After hearing that church had been called off, we set out for the Twelmeyers, who had offered to host our church meeting for the day. Nate ran to get the car....I started tapping my foot...what could possibly be taking him so long. When he returned, Nate informed me that my car was covered in ice...did I have a scraper? Luckily I did, and luckily the ice came off in sheets--it all looked very easy to remove...from the inside of the car. I believe our next dose of ice will be on its way tonight, so stand by for pictures. The effect of an ice storm is a treat for the eye-everything is sparkling and beautiful; yet on my way out to our car that night, I managed to almost fall several times...so I'll trade the beauty of winter for the safety of fall.

2 comments:
1. I can't understand why the 9 AM church went on as scheduled. Who's running your ward anyway?
2. I want to see the tights.
3. This morning I was running to our garage and hit a MAJOR sheet of ice (we're working on the salt purchase). And I was in heels, mind you. Erik was inside and may or may not have gotten an earful of expletives.
My church is at 8:30 AM and now you know why we VERY rarely make it to Sacrament. After reading your post I don't feel nearly as bad! :) I want to see pictures of the ice storm - I saw someone else's blog that is doing medical school in Ohio and they had some cool pictures (I think they were from Utah too - so it was something new for them also). Our church was cancelled a couple weeks ago - in the middle of our block, because the basement was flooded in about 4 feet of water (in the breaker room). It was pretty cool! I'm excited to see you in a couple weeks! Have a safe trip!
Post a Comment