I remember when shopping at the Deseret Industries (DI)* was really embarrassing. In my fifth grade class, someone was teased because they were seen shopping there (it now seems obvious to ask how the teaser was to be able to see the teased, but whatever).
While being an adult has some definite drawbacks, I now enjoy the (social) freedom to shop wherever I want; with pride, even. Last week during my visit back to Utah, I made an impressive 2 appearances to the same DI location within a 4 day span. The first day I shopped with Ruth (my sister) and my mom. I followed my mom over to the book section and found all the church books anyone could want (or didn't want, in this case). I found some great biographies on some of the prophets, but my prize find was a copy of President Benson's biography. It's written by Sheri Dew and signed by the prophet himself, so it's not only valuable (to me), but also well written. I surfaced from the book selection with an armful of (heavy) books; maybe Ruth's raised eyebrows didn't say "you realize that a heavy baggage fee is $50, right", but they should have. I found a few great items of clothing, but we had to leave to get to a family party.
Not completely satisfied, I called Ruth the next day and asked if she was up for another visit to DI. I was in luck (or being indulged), so we returned and were in rare form. I found all sorts of work/play clothes without (much of) the guilt of a regular shopping trip. After announcing my total to Ruth's husband, Matt, he asked if they gave me the keys to the store. I've been wearing DI clothes for a week and have felt totally stylish, but my carefree DI spending reminded me of diet advice I've heard: just because you are eating low-fat cookies doesn't mean you should eat the whole box. I won't feel guilty. My box of cookies was a lot less expensive than most and I successfully avoided a heavy baggage fee by carrying on about 40lbs on my back while wearing a bad outfit. I earned my bargains.
*Goodwill or Salvation Army equivalent
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I seem to remember skipping school in the ninth grade and going to the DI with you and Ruth...glad to see you've stayed true.
Part of our success has to do with the "sharing karma" that I carefully develop. To get, you have to give. I have cultivated a good karma at the AF location, and I have "the sight", a somewhat debatable talent to find good things for other people. (Catherine can also vouch for the talent) You should be proud of everything you found, they were all treasures! (I didn't see much wrong with your airplane outfit...)
Liz,
Having lived in Bellingham, WA and down the street from the AF DI, I can say that Goodwill and the Salvation Army are not even close comparisons to DI. Did you go out in the toys/furniture area? There are always surprises out there.
Post a Comment