Saturday, April 12, 2008

Delilah: Embarrass someone tonight

After class last Tuesday, I ran out to my car (yes, it's that exciting to be released) and got settled for my drive home. I've recently finished listening to General Conference, so now I just listen to whatever. As I drove out of the parking lot, I quickly turned my stereo to "tuner"...I was disappointed, all I heard was static. I should figure that 70 or so miles from home might just have different radio feeds? So why was I disappointed? I didn't realize it until it happened, but I was hoping I could listen to Delilah on my way home. This is a horrible admission, but it must be done. I remember several years ago, my sister encouraging me to listen to Delilah, mentioning that she "played good music". Well fine Ruth, she does.
For those of you not familiar with the set up of the show, I will explain. Delilah excels at finding "just the right song" for anyone who calls in and shares their love situation/problem with said radio personality. Listening as dedications were made to: Jeremy (being an 18 year old girl's savior..."we've been through SO much"; song picked: Blessed Union of Souls "I Believe"), Annie (in a long distance relationship with caller for 6 years, recently broke up-"the most amazing woman alive" song picked:had to go to my visiting teaching appointment before I heard the song) and Craig (ex-husband to caller, divorced because they both cheated on each other, yet she is convinced they are soul mates; song picked: Mariah Carey "Forever"), I felt happy about my life and that I am too embarrassed to call a woman I don't know and spill my love secrets. Another night as I listened, Delilah threw out a theme for her callers "Do you have anyone in your life that has betrayed you, been deceitful, and hurt you deeply? Call me and we'll get through it" Okay, I'm glad she is willing to help, but does anyone really need to be encouraged to discuss their (mostly) strange relationship dynamic? Answer? YES.
Next week will be my last week of class (that I will be driving to Michigan for) until about July, so I'm currently trying to figure out how to keep Delilah alive...I mean, what if I miss Nate's dedication??

4 comments:

Our Family said...

Oh my gosh!!! Jim and I happened to listen to Delilah in Phoenix on night drives and we heard her on the radio again the other day. Glad to know the sappiness is still going on 10 years later.

CANDACE said...

you totally need to write a book. you are hilarious!

Lyndsay said...

I get sucked in with Delilah--it really is like a trainwreck. So sorry if you heard my profession of love to Erik despite his dalliances. I thought Shania Twain would say it better than I ever could in "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under." Sue me.

Ruth said...

thanks for the rat-out. Snitchy...I can honestly say I do not recall said conversation about me wanting Lizt to listen. I think I was joking... Anywho...
My favorite Delilah moment? Someone was bawling about breaking up with her boyfriend and how she kept hoping it would work out. Song chosen? "It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday" Good listening skills Delilah. I think everyone gets sucked in at some point in their life. I agree that a lot of times you just want to hear what stupid inappropriate song she chooses.