Saturday, February 16, 2008

Saturday is a special day




A few weeks ago, during one of our bi-weekly visits to Costco, Nate and I picked up a flier for "Healthy Heart Day!" We signed up for a free blood pressure and cholesterol test for this Saturday at 11:00am. I think we were actually on time for something, but unfortunately I don't know how much it mattered (I will still reference this event if I'm ever accused of being chronically late). We sat down with the two nurses and while they were taking my blood sample, a very heavy older man strolled by with his shopping cart "What are you guys doing?" he says; Nurse: "Free cholesterol screening" Old man: (rolling his eyes and turning quickly away) "Humph". He acted as if he didn't move fast enough one of the nurses would check that cholesterol whether he liked it or not. I started giggling, so I put my head down. My nurse, complete with a knife-stabbing-a-heart-named-Chuck tattoo on her arm, asked me if I was okay. All throughout this time, Nate, being his chatty self, was attempting to get some/any feedback on his test results...Nate: "so what is a good ratio for LDL?" Nurses: (I can't say I remember any response). Nate tried a few times with no luck, so I decided to be an expert and review the results. Once we were done, we walked over to ask the pharmacist if he could recommend anything to assist Nate and his triglycerides..."um, you could buy some supplements here, but they won't really do anything, so you should just get a prescription". Unsure whether that was an endorsement for doctors, prescriptions, or Costco products, we took a stroll through the supplement aisle. So it was lunchtime, we were at Costco, and Nate's triglycerides are high...Nate says..."Hotdogs for lunch?"

3 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I HATE when nurses corner you and check your stats. I can't tell you how many times I've involuntarily had blood work done whilst out on a shopping trip.
I wonder if your nurse and Chuck are still hot and heavy. Tell Nate to stop obsessing about hot dogs so he can ask the important questions.

anniebobannie said...

you are too hilarious!!!

Ruth said...

I can't eat a lot of hot dog product anymore. It makes me feel funny. I was banned by Matt from JDawgs...